There are a lot of moments that can be captured with a video camera. But in the eyes of a sports fan,there is nothing better than capturing amazing and historical moments in sports. We all have to admit that the sports world is filled with moments of suspense, thrill, pride,competitiveness, and triumph.
For sports fan, enthusiasts or junkies they all would want to record their favorite sports moment to serve as a memory for them to look back into it. Sports can be an essential part of life for an individual. To put it simply, this individual lives and breathes to watch sports. Therefore a video camera is equipment that all sports enthusiasts have. To capture all of those astounding moments, you got to have the best video camera for filming sports.
But you should be wise in the selection of a video camera. You don’t want to settle with a video camera that is of standard quality. Settle with a camera that will take you to greater heights with exquisite and exceptional specifications to capture every bit of the beauty of sport. To capture every dazzling second of the action, be it basketball, football, or athletics and to be able to look back on them.
The best video camera for shooting sport is a must-have for you. We understand that there is a vast range of video cameras available in the market. Choosing one might be a problem as you may find it difficult to find a suitable video camera for you.
Fortunately for you, we can help you choose the best and cheap video camera for sports. We have reviewed ten specific products that are applicable in capturing those historical moments in sports. We will provide you with some of the best video cameras for recording sports that are available in the market today.
Our help is not over as we will also provide you with a comprehensive buyer’s guide and a FAQs section to make it convenient for you to compare the best video camera for sports available and choose the best one for your individual needs.
But before we jump in, here is our best overall and best budget pick if you are currently in a hurry.
Best Video Camera for Sports: 30 Second Summary
- Best Overall: If you want the top of the line video camera for sports, then you got Olympus OM-D E-M10. With its easy-to-use quality you will be shooting those sports action with ease and efficiency. Made with in-built flash making those dark areas possible for capturing.
Capture high-speed continuous feature at 8 frames per second. You can also zoom to record some of the amazing spectacles of sports action from afar. The Olympus OM-D E-M10 will surely deliver to your desire of capturing the best sports motion at high speed. Considered to be on the top picks for a video camera for sports that will surely last long.
- Best Budget Friendly: If you are that kind of person who sticks to a restricted budget but still wants to shoot dazzling sports in action, don’t worry as we just have the video camera for you. GoPro Hero 5, a video camera for sports that is affordable for the masses. But don’t let its price fool you, it also gives this vibe of quality.
One of the cameras is very easy to operate. This camera is also made for extreme environments having rugger, durable and waterproof feature making it possible to capture sports underwater. If you want the best budget video camera for sports, then the GoPro Hero 5 is specially made for you and your tight budget.
Reviews of the Top 10 Best Video Camera for Sports
Numerous video cameras in the market are fit for sports or action sports. This fact makes your decision to buy the best video camera for sports a hard one. Fortunately for you, we’ve gathered the top of the line products to help you.
Below is our honest and unbiased review of the best video camera for sports.
1. Olympus OM-D E-M10 – Best Overall Video Camera for Sports
If you are a person that craves to film a fast-paced sport, then the Olympus OM-D E-M10 is proper. A camera that is very lightweight and compacted you will not have any trouble maneuvering it with ease. With its small size, it will definitely fit in your hand, and you will be able to capture the awesome moments of sports without burden.
This video camera features the M Zuiko lens that is considered to bring high quality photographs and high resolution for filming. Not only that its sensor the 16 megapixels Live MOS sensor will be putting these vibrant colors to your videos and pictures.
This video camera also contains the 3 axis image stabilization that will help you to capture steady videos in fast-paced sports. It also has the in-build Wi-Fi that will allow you to share your videos and pictures without removing anything in the camera.
The beauty of the Olympus OM-D E-M1O does not stop there. It also has its own flash that you can use to capture sports at night. It has a monitor that is a touchscreen that can be tilted, thus making the interface a very convenient one.
By the looks of it, the Olympus OM-D E-M10 is the best overall video camera for sports that can truly capture videos and images at high-speed action without missing a single second.
- High-speed shooting (8 fps)
- Image stabilization (3 axes)
- Tilt touchscreen monitor
- Inbuilt Wi-Fi
- Creative tools (9 art effects and 12 filters)
- TruePic VIII processor
- The electronic viewfinder (100% coverage)
- 16 megapixels Live MOS sensor
- High-speed continuous at 8 frames per second that lets you capture videos at different speed fast-paced sports.
- Inbuilt Wi-Fi that lets you send videos with ease.
- 16 megapixels Live MOS sensor that lets you film videos at great qualities.
- Not waterproof (Not fit for watersports)
- Does not have any mic and accessory support
2. GoPro Hero 5 – Best Budget Video Camera for Sports
Probably the best video camera for people that are sticking to a specific budget. But don’t let the prize and the size fool you. This camera also contains features that can thrill sports enthusiasts.
Shoot stunning videos at 4K and photos at 12 megapixels for photos. With this resolution and MP, you are ensured of high-quality videos and photos. It also contains several modes that you can use such burst modes, time-lapse, and single capture.
The GoPro Hero 5 contains its very own QuikStories feature that makes you the user be able to send videos to your smartphone. It is directly transferred to the app and will be edited, and the only thing that you will be doing is to save it or post it.
This camera is built for extreme sports having durability and waterproof qualities that can make it usable underwater. This camera can reach depths up to 33 feet. A camera that is made for capturing amazing moments in water sports.
It also contains a touchscreen display that is measuring 2-inch. You can use the monitor to playback, preview, trim, send, or even modify the settings. Being a touchscreen interface has never been easier.
If your hands are full and can’t control the camera, then fear not as it also contains voice control. Use your very own voice to control the camera, such as capture photos and film videos to your desire.
If you have your camera mounted expect that it will not be stable, but not with the GoPro Hero 5. It has a video stabilization feature that lets you capture smooth motions with efficiency and without any disruptions.
Totally the best budget and one of the cheap video cameras in the market today.
- 4K Video resolution
- Multiple modes: Single, burst, and time-lapse modes.
- Quick stories feature
- Voice command
- 2-inch touchscreen monitor
- Waterproof that can reach depths up to 33 feet.
- 4K video resolution that will let you capture sports motion in high-quality.
- Voice command that makes it easier to control without even using the hands.
- A waterproof camera is suitable for extreme environments.
- Shorter battery life
- The touchscreen display is not vibrant at all.
- No charger
3. Panasonic Lumix G85 – Versatile Video Recorder
The Panasonic Lumix G85 is a versatile video camera for sports because of its qualities and features. If you want to shoot sports action at greater qualities, then the Lumix can perform and satisfy your video cravings.
A camera that is designed to be mirrorless and compacted that makes it lightweight and easy to handle. Bring this camera anywhere, and you will not have this camera a burden in your backpack or pack.
The camera is versatile because of its qualities that have a splash-proof, dust-proof, and weather-sealed that makes it suitable for any weather. Use this versatile camera in any environment and enjoy filming sports action.
With 4K resolution up to 30 frames per second, shoot dazzling qualities of sports in motion. It also has the 5-axis gyro sensor that lets you capture sports action with smoothness and stability. It is also a camera that is great for photos having the 16 megapixels MOS sensor.
You can review images with its post-focus. With this focus stacking, you can choose focal points in a single image that you captured. It can also perform fast because of its AF technology supplemented by the Depth from Defocus feature.
Photos or videos, the Panasonic Lumix G85 is the versatile camera that is suitable for filming elegant and dazzling sports action.
- 4K at 30fps video resolution
- Weather-sealed, dust, and splash-proof design.
- 5-axis gyro sensor for stable capturing
- Inbuilt Wi-Fi
- Shooting speed (9 fps)
- 3-inch touchscreen monitor/display
- With its weather-sealed design, shoot sports at changing environments at extreme weather.
- This camera will let you capture videos smoothly because of its 5-axis gyro sensor.
- 4K at 30 fps video resolution creating wonderful videos in awesome qualities.
- Poor battery life
- Limited ISO range
4. Sony Alpha a6000 – Hybrid Video Camera for Sports
The Sony Alpha a6000 is the hybrid in the world of a video camera for sports. Another camera that is designed to be lightweight, compact, and very easy to handle. Let’s face it, one quality, must-have a video camera for sports is that it is very convenient to handle;thus this camera can deliver.
This camera is a hybrid because of its astounding features. It bears the BIONZ X processor and the Exmos CMOS sensor that lets you capture videos even in low light. It can get to ISO range 100-25,000. With these features, you can film dazzling motions of sports at ultra-speed at 11 fps. It also has its auto-tracking features that let you capture sports even at high speed. Shoot vides at varied resolutions ranging from 1080p, 24p, 60p frames.
It also hasthis 3-inch Xtrafine display interface that lets you control the camera. Too bright? For the Sony Alpha a6000 contains White Magic technology that can increase your camera’s visibility even in bright daylight.
OLED viewfinder is also integrated into the camera that lets you shoot videos and pictures at astounding wide angles. It also enables 100% frame coverage, thus upgrading the visibility greatly.
Definitely, a hybrid that has great image qualities and with astounding features added in its mechanism and system.
- BIONZ X image processor
- Exmos CMOS sensor
- WhiteMagic technology
- 3-inch Xtrafine LCD Display
- ISO 100-25,000
- Recording speed up to 11fps
- Autofocus tracking feature
- OLED viewfinder
- Record or film videos at high speed with its 11fps feature.
- Add more detail even in low light because of its hybrid features, BIONZ X processor, and Exmos CMOS sensor.
- Capture videos and images at wide angle and great visibility with its OLED viewfinder.
- The camera overheats if it exceeds the usage of 1 or 2 hours.
- The camera is not waterproof
5. Nikon D3300 – BestIndoor and Outdoor Video Camera for Sports
Indoor or outdoor the Nikon D3300 is the one that you have to use. One of the best budget DSLR camera that can be used in filming awesome sports action outdoors and indoors. Capture videos with its 5 fps continuous shooting.
It also it’s own autofocus system that will look unto your subject as they enter the frame and will stay on them until you get what the shot that you desire.
The Nikon D3300 contains a 1080p quality and 24.2 megapixels DX-format CMOS image sensor that lets you capture videos of sports action in dazzling qualities. If you want to get a close-up view on the action happening, see the golf ball or if you are shooting from quite a distance, no problem as it has its zoom features.
This camera will record with awesome sound. The instance that you playback the video you will be seeing HD quality videos and a great sound integrated. The camera is also embedded with effects or creative tools.
It is complete with a WU-1a wireless adapter that you may connect with your phone and tablet and lets you share the photos instantly. With the use of the adapter, you may also control the Nikon D3300 through your smartphone.
The Nikon D3300 is made to adaptable to indoor and outdoor sports. With its features record sports action from afar but not sacrificing the quality.
- 5fps continuous shooting
- Zoom feature X3
- 3-inch LCD
- 1080 video resolution
- 2 MP CMOS DX-format sensor
- WU-1a wireless adapter
- Autofocus system
- Capture amazing quality videos at 1080 HD resolutions.
- It does not matter if you are afar because the Nikon D3300 has its zoom feature ranging up to 3x.
- Share photos through the WU-1a wireless adapter.
- Control the camera through your smartphone with the use of the adapter.
- Not waterproof
- This camera may not always be steady.
6. Canon VIXIA HF R700 – Zoom Monster Video Camera
If you want to be able to capture actions sports, especially in the great outdoors, then you should be able to use the most suitable one. For amazing results outdoor the Canon VIXIA HF R700 can perform beyond your expectations.
This is the camera that is great for zooming in to those actions. Zoom in and out quickly as this camera has the 57X advanced zoom. Are you several distances far from sports action? Then no problem as the Canon VIXIA can help you with its 1080 HD video resolution capture the best moments with quality.
Don’t worry about unstable hands, the Canon VIXIA is created and designed to have its super range stabilizer that will correct any shakes or unnecessary movements in your video camera.
The 3.28 MPS full-HD CMOS image sensor will allow you to shoot videos and capture images even in low-light. Not only that, but it also has the DIGIC DV 4 Image processor making it possible for you to capture brighter, full-HD, and free noise videos.
Do you want to adjust the speed of the video? Fortunately, this camera contains slow-motion features. This feature will allow you to film sports action in slow motion which can definitely slow down any speedy sports action.
It also has effects integrated into its system that lets you increase the drama of the sports action. You can add effects such as cinematic filters. There’s more as this camera also have its own audio scene that will allow you to select between 5 choices of audio modes while you are recording awesome action sports.
The outdoor video camera monster with its monster features of having a 57X zoom, slow motion features, and many more.
- Zoom 57x
- 1080 HD video resolution
- 28 MPS Full-HD CMOS Image sensor
- SuperRange stabilizer
- The 3-inch touchscreen LCD display
- DIGIC DV 4 Image processor
- Slow-motion feature
- Cinematic-look filters and Audio modes
- The Canon VIXIA will let you zoom from great distances because of its 57x zoom.
- Too fast? Slow down sports action with the Canon VIXIA’s slow-motion effect.
- Add cinematic-filter in your videos or images and add an audio scene from its 5 audio mode collections.
- Does not have inbuilt Wi-Fi making it hard to transfer videos.
- The design of this camera is not sleek compared to others. Simple, the design is outdated.
- This camera is not waterproof and not suitable for watersports.
7. Canon PowerShot SX720 HS – Best Point and Shoot Video Camera
One of the good cheap quality cameras. The Canon Powershot is s a powerful camera that will allow you to shoot great sports action. This camera is designed to be slick, and due to its size, it can even fit inside your pocket. A good budget camera for traveling and capture sports moments in the Olympics.
Having the DIGIC 6 image processor, the quality of your videos and photographs will be boosted greatly. It also has the 20.3 megapixel CMOS sensor that can perform to awesome qualities. It also promotes continuous shooting ranging from 5.9 fps and 24p video filming.
Zoom from great distances as this camera contains an outstanding 40x zoom. Film or record sports moments even from the farthest seat with this camera in your disposal. Integrated with the 5-axis stabilization and Intelligent Dynamic SI that can correct the shake in the camera and record videos with stability with the Canon PowerShot.
Do you want to review your video or images? Not a problem as this camera contains a 3-inch LCD display that contains high resolution. This also allows you to view images at wide angles.
It also has a creative shot mode that contains fun effects and filters. And you will have no problem in sharing the videos and images because of its inbuilt Wi-Fi.
- 40x optical zoom
- DIGIC 6 Image processor
- 3 MPS CMOS Sensor
- 3-inch touchscreen LCD
- Point and shoot
- Intelligent Dynamic SI
- 5 axis image stabilization
- Record videos at continuous speed shooting 5.9 fps.
- Due to its size, this camera can fit in your pocket.
- Record sports action from the farthest seat as this camera contains the 40x optical zoom feature.
- Share the videos with the inbuilt Wi-Fi.
- The video and image quality may not be great if you are shooting in low-light areas.
- It may not be convenient to use because of the smaller buttons in the camera.
8. Olympus TG-4 – Best Extreme Environments Video Camera
A point-and-shoot camera that contains great features. To start off, this camera contains a 1080p HD video resolution. But that is not the feature that makes this camera an outstanding performer to an extreme environment.
The Olympus TG-4 is designed to be waterproof that can reach depths up to 50 feet. It is also designed to undergo low temperatures being freeze proof up to 14 degrees. Able to withstand shock up to 7 feet. And a crushproof quality that can withstand up to weights of 220 lbs.
Complete with 16 MP BSI CMOS Sensor and TruePic VII image processor that will let you shoot and record moments with the brightest color. This camera also contains several modes such as underwater modes with underwater HDR that lets you capture water sports moments on the surface and underneath. Not only that, High-speed lens, Powerful macro, and Live composite modes are also present.
Share videos and photos of sports through its inbuilt Wi-Fi connectivity. Did you know that this camera also contains its very own GPS and compass? It can also allow you to measure barometric pressure, altitude, and water depth.
A camera made for sports enthusiast that loves outdoor sports action. With its awesome features expect this camera to adjust to the weather and environment.
- 1080p HD video quality
- 4x wide zoom angle
- Waterproof up to 50 feet
- Freezeproof to 14 degrees
- Shockproof to 7 feet
- Crushproof to 220 lbs.
- 16 MP BSI CMOS Sensor with Raw Capture
- Different modes, such as underwater mode, high-speed, powerful macro, and live composite.
- Inbuilt Wi-Fi
- GPS and Compass
- Suitable for changing environment and weather due to its amazing environment adaptability and outstanding design.
- Enjoy different modes, even underwater for photos.
- Different modes for video such as High-speed movie, Time-lapse, and interval shooting mode.
- Built-in GPS, Compass and other measuring devices, truly suited for any outdoor sports action.
- You may not experience great qualities of video given the resolution.
- Shooting may not be stable.
9. Canon EOS Rebel T5– Best Video Camera Suited for All Sports
If you are looking for a camera that will suit all sports, then your answer is the Canon EOS Rebel T5. This video camera contains solid specs that you can use for filming moments in sports.
To kick it off, this camera has a 3-inch LCD display for you to review your photos and videos. A 1080p HD resolution and also it contains 18 megapixel CMOS image sensor and DIGIC 4 image processor for awesome videos and photos.
Aside from those features, it also contains continuous shooting at 3fps, and it contains several modes. The modes in the mechanism of this camera are namely, auto mode and scene intelligent. It also has the movie mode for video.
It also has its own inbuilt flash to let you capture and record scenes from sports at low light. I also have this standard zoom lens, EF-S 18-5 mm IS II.
If you want a great video camera for sports, then this is your answer though you will be investing a sum of money for this kind of camera.
- 18 megapixels CMOS Image sensor
- DIGIC 4 Image processor
- 1080p HD video resolution
- Continuous shooting at 3fps
- Several modes for picture and video.
- 3-inch LCD display
- EF-S 18-5 mm IS II standard zoom lens
- The best standard video camera for shooting all kinds of sports with its 1080 resolution.
- Its CMOS image sensor, together with the DIGIC 4 image sensor, may give you great quality photographs and video.
- Use several modes for capturing photos and shooting videos.
- Although it is suited in all sports, this camera may not likely favor being underwater.
- This camera may be a bit pricey.
10. Canon EOS 70D – Video Camera Shooting Monster
If you want to invest in one camera, then the Canon EOS 70D may be an option. Although this product is pricey it also carries quality in its name. A monster in shooting videos of sports having the 20.2 MP CMOS sensor and DIGIC 6 image processor. Not only that, it also has a monstrous 40x optical zoom feature thus dubbing it the video camera shooting the monster.
The features of the Canon EOS 70D is not limited to those above only. It also enables you to shoot at 7 fps. Dual Pixel CMOS AF that enables fast focus for live view and filming videos. You may also attach a GPS which you may buy separately.
You can also share video and pictures conveniently because of inbuilt Wi-Fi connectivity. Still, through the Wi-Fi, you may even control the camera through your smartphone and the app EOS remote app.
To end it, this camera contains the ISO 1OO-28000, expandable to 25600 and intelligent viewfinder making one video camera monster for sports.
- 7fps continuous shooting
- 40x optical zoom
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- 3-inch LCD display
- 1080 and 720 HD video
- Full manual mode (Video)
- 2 MP CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 6 image processor.
- ISO 100-12800 that is expandable to 25600
- Inbuilt Wi-Fi for sharing videos and controlling the camera through the EOS remote app.
- Record excellent quality videos even from afar because of its 40x optical zoom.
- Go into full manual mode and experience the magic of recording.
- Share and control the camera through the inbuilt Wi-Fi and EOS Remote app.
- ISO 100-28000 that is expandable to 25600 that can create outstanding videos.
- This camera may require a huge sum of money.
- May not be suitable for watersports.
Buying Guide for Best Video Camera for Sports
The search for the best video camera for sports is a tiring process. What makes it more tiring if you don’t know the specific must-have qualities for the camera. If you love animals, then you may like best superzoom camera for birding. You may find it tiring, tedious, and you may even be overwhelmed with the tons of cameras each having their own specifications.
If you are looking for the best video camera for sports, then you must look at the specific details that it must have. Sticking to these qualities may be beneficial to you and your video qualities. Truly shooting the amazing moments in sports in high quality is a bliss.
The best video camera for sports must contain awesome features from high quality resolutions, optical zooms, image stabilizer, Wi-Fi connectivity and etc. These are some of the features that you might want to look into a video camera.
If you are a newbie in this kind of area, then you are the one that is in dire need. You are in dire need to find out the great specification that a video camera must contain for sports actions. You must take into consideration several qualities before you buy the camera.
Don’t worry, in this section, allow us to present to you the details and factors you have to consider when buying a video camera for sports :
You must consider the video resolution of the video camera. To record high quality sports videos then you must have the camera that contains the highest video resolution, which is the 4K HD video resolution. A 1080p HD resolution may also be considered. If you want to get high quality videos, then you must stick within this range 1080p to 4K video resolution.
The optical zoom feature is another thing that you might want to consider when buying for a video camera for sports. Having this kind of feature will let you record videos even from a great distance.
Zoom is a great feature that you must have to view and record sports actions from a greater distance.
Shooting a video or capturing a photo may be difficult if you have shaky hands. In line with that, consider the camera that has stabilizers integrated into their systems. With this feature in your camera, you will be recording videos steadily and smoothly.
You have to remember that filming action sports may use a lot of movement from your hands and body; thus shaking may occur. To prevent these shaking effects to your videos, a stabilizer is a must-have feature for your camera.
If you want an easier and convenient way to share the videos to your smartphone or tablet. This is convenient as you will not need to remove anything from the camera. Through the use of the Wi-FI connectivity, you can share the videos fast.
Not only that, there are cameras that can be controlled once connected to the Wi-Fi. You may be able to control the camera through an application compatible with the camera that you bought.
Continuous shoot lets you record videos without any disruption. There are varieties of cameras that have continuous speed shooting each having their own fps. For a great quality recording, the continuous shoot feature is also a must-have for your camera.
Adaptable and Durable
Some sports are conducted outdoors, so some cameras may not perform well if the weather is bad. The quality of being adaptable is also another thing that you might want to consider. Adaptable and durable to extreme conditions.
Some cameras are made for the great outdoors, and since the weather is dynamic, the quality of being adaptable and durable is important.
An essential detail that you must consider. There are video cameras for sports that have prices below 500$, and there are above the said price. You must not only consider the pricing but also the qualities that it has. Try to compare the price and specs of the camera if you are looking for one.
Doing this action will surely satisfy your desire for a good video camera for sports while sticking to your specified budget.
Another significant specification for a video camera for sports. You must take note that sports take time. In line with this, your video camera must also perform for hours. There are video cameras in the market that performs for only a minimum of 90 minutes. It will be more difficult if you don’t have any outlets to charge your camera.
To make it conducive for shooting sports action, you must consider the battery life of the video camera that you are going to buy.
Frequently Asked Questions
The factors mentioned above are the things that you must consider if you want to purchase a video camera. But the best factor in your selection of the best video camera for sports must be according to your individual needs.
For you to choose and buy the best video camera for sports based on your needs,these are the questions that you must consider:
Sporting events are great, fun, and filled with amazing moments. In line with that, you must be able to capture those awesome moments in your video camera as this will serve as your memories to remember the times that sports have brought to you.
A wonderful video camera will not be only able to capture moments in HD quality, but it can also create history, every second that it records. Regardless of the video camera that you bought, you must satisfy your desire and record the most beautiful moments in sports.
These are all the information that you need to buy the best video camera for sports that will satisfy your individual needs and your budget. We are hoping that through this, you will be able to capture the dazzling beauty of sports . Consider everything that is mentioned in this guide, and enjoy recording sports action!