GoPro is considered one of the premier manufacturers of action cameras today. The action cameras they offer are ultra-tough as well as intended to be used in various conditions and settings. Like other devices out there, at the heart of the GoPro action camera is a memory card that stores the images and videos you take. This article will be going to review the best memory cards for GoPro, so you are sure that you purchase the best one for shiny new Hero7. But, before that, it is vital to get to know more about memory cards.
A memory card is a small storage thing that is generally utilized to store data and files. The most popular form of a file that is being saved on this card includes pictures, videos, music as well as other kinds of file formats. Memory cards are utilized for smaller, portable, and remote computer devices. The mainstream of the new products is going to use flash memory even if other technologies are under development at present.
Memory cards can be used in so many ways. You purchase a high-definition GoPro camera that is able to take amazing pictures. On the other hand, you just acquire 8GB of built-in storage space that is not going to do you good as a high-definition picture can get up to some megabytes easily. Keeping this thing in mind, you can take hundreds of pictures prior to running out of space to utilize, and that is relatively convenient. You would’ve considered erasing images you love to make space for new ones. Keep on reading to know the best memory cards ideal for GoPro.
Best Memory Card for GoPro: 30 Second Summary
- Best Overall: The best memory card on the list is the Sandisk Extreme Pro. Aside from being a solid performer, this memory card for GoPro also provides the fastest write speed amongst the batch of the SD cards available, which make the best option for shooting pictures in fast succession, filming video as well as adding some additional storage to your laptop or computer. This memory card is able to transfer over 30 megabits for every second of data to full capacity in below 23 minutes, so you will need to wait around for data or files to move over. What is more, SanDisk Extreme Pro is available in an array of gigabyte sizes. However, what makes it apart from the rest is the lifetime warranty they provide.
- Best Budget Friendly: You do not need to spend a huge amount of money to acquire a fast-acting SD card. The 64GB Transcend SD memory card is quick, as it writes speeds are just seconds behind the SanDisk. This memory card is able to write to its full capacity in 24 minutes. This also provides a U1 rating; on the other hand, it is not able to handle 4K video, not like the SanDisk Extreme Pro that has a U3 rating. On the other hand, this is worth considering by those with a limited budget. Transcend is very reasonable, and the best choice is you do not have a plan on filming high-resolution video, as it, almost $10 cheaper opposed to the SanDisk. This memory card is not just ideal for GoPro action cameras but also for computers as well as other devices that rely on an average Class 10 UHS-I SD card.
Review of the Top 10 Best Memory Card for GoPro
A memory card for GoPro is a necessary accessory. It’s the soul of your GoPro camera, without it you can’t record anything. That’s why people are always on the hunt for the best memory card for their needs. Most people don’t know what they need in a memory card, but this article will provide an introduction to the basics of what you should consider when buying one.
Here is the review of the best memory card available for GoPro action cameras. You better check this out!
1. SanDisk Extreme PRO: The best all-round memory card for GoPro right now
- The capacity of up to 512GB
- 90MB/s read speed
- 95MB/s write speed
- Lifetime limited warranty
- Ideal for video and photography which include 4K
If you consider yourself as a photo fanatic who is serious about taking pictures, then state of the art SanDisk Extreme PRO memory card is the best option. Made by industry stalwart SanDisk, you are assured that this memory is not just quality but also meets your needs. In spite of having a small size, this card runs from 32GB capacity up to 512GB, and comes with a UHS-III Speed Class rating.
What really makes this memory card apart from the rest is the write speeds that reach up to a remarkable 90MB/s, so meaning it can deal with fast-fire sequential shooting in Raw and JPEF format. It has a quick file transfer of 95MB/s. This surely speeds up the workflows of pros and enthusiasts alike. In general, the SanDisk Extreme PRO is a reliable, great as well as all-around memory card for GoPro.
- Stutter free video is amazing
- Great rapid-fire performance
- A bit expensive
- There are faster memory cards available at this level
2. Transcend SDXC: Best Value Memory Card for GoPro Action Cameras
- 64GB capacity
- 285MB/s read speed
- 180MB/s write speed
- Five years limited warranty
- Ideal for shooting rapid-fire resolution RAW stills as well as superior 4K video
This memory card from Transcend is a true belter which is able to provide, whether you are shooting high-resolution video or shooting raw files. As the 64GB maximum capacity might look like a little bit modest at firs opposed to other options available, the performance is superb. It has read times of 285MB/s and writes speed of 180MB/s, respectively. This memory card work with UHS-II compatible cameras, speed of three times faster than regular UHS-1SD memory card are possible. This memory card is also X-ray and shockproof, providing professionals and enthusiasts additional peace of mind.
- Data speeds are blisteringly fast
- Best for 4Kvideo and Raw shooting
- The capacity of this card tops out at 64GB
- Faster rival memory cards are available
3. Lexar Professional Class 190 UHS-II 2000X: Best for Rapid Use and Great for Consistency and Reliability
- 128GB capacity
- 300MB/s read speed
- It has a write speed of up to 260MB/s
- Lifetime limited warranty
- Ideal for videos like 4K and photography
Lexar is the go-to a memory card for professionals and photo enthusiasts. There are lots of Lexar memory cards available to choose from, with this professional card being one of the best, using UHS-II technology to allow transfer speeds of up to 300MB/s. This memory card has a write speed of 260MB/s.
Therefore, it does not matter if you are shooting Full HD, high-resolution RAW files or 4K video, this memory card is eminently ideal, although the maximum capacity is just limited to 128GB, instead of 512GB being offered by other providers. When it comes to specifications and performance, Lexar is almost similar to SanDisk, which is the overall best memory card in this review. In general, Lexar Professional Class 190 is considered one of the best memory cards for GoPro at this point in time.
- Transferring of the file is extremely fast
- Lifetime warranty
- Expensive compared to other memory cards available on the market today
- Lexar has moved from making a memory card
4. Lexar Professional 633x SDHC / SDXC UHS-I: The Best Memory Cards for 4K Video and Full HD Video
- It has a capacity of 512GB
- It has a read speed of 95MB/s
- It has a write speed of 45MB/s
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Ideal for video at the pro level and photography
When filming the high-resolution video, you need lots of storage space for digital data. The new Lexar Professional 633X UHS-1 is the best SD memory card with regards to capacity. It is intended for action cameras and DSLR as well. The transfer rats and the read rate are a bit humble than the lower capacity. However, high-speed memory cards also aimed to seasoned or professionals. So, meaning you need to choose which is vital to you, having the probability of transferring it between cameras and cellphones faster than usual or have enough space to store a lot of videos. You may also like Sandisk Extreme vs Extreme Pro.
- Extremely fast data transfer
- Accelerates a pro workflow
- Expensive compared to other models available
- Not as extensively accessible as others
5. SanDisk Extreme CompactFlash: Budget-friendly memory card with high capacity and amazing
- The capacity of Up to 256GB
- Read Speed of Up to 160MB/s
- Write Speed of Up to 150MB/s
- Lifetime limited warranty
- Perfect for photography as well as video, which include 4K
This is considered an old school memory card. However, there is nothing wistful about the SanDisk Extreme Pro CF. It has a read speed of 160MB/s. This might belong opposed to more contemporary SD memory cards available. However, it does not mean that this cannot pack enough capacity as well as speed to please action camera users nowadays.
The range provides capacities from a functional 16GB to a remarkable 256GB. Therefore, you do not need to keep changing cards while you are in the middle of the action. It has a write speed of 140MB/s at utmost 256GB capacity also impresses, which makes it eminently ideal for video use, specifically for action cameras providing Full HD capture. As a matter of fact, with a minimum continued write speed of 65MB/s, the card’s manufacturer claims this is among the best memory cards for GoPro and DSLRs as well.
- Optimized for pro-grade video capture
- Ideal for both Full HD as well as 4K video
- Not as fast as SDXC Extreme PRO cards
- Old formats
- Outdated or old design cards
6. SanDisk Extreme: Old School memory card
- It has a capacity of 256GB
- 90MB/s read speed
- 40MB/s write speed
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Ideal for 4K video
SanDisk is a reliable memory card manufacturer in the US and is long and well-established with regards to detachable or portable media solution for DSLR and action cameras alike. The extreme array of cards provides both Pro and standard versions. The Pro series are a bit expensive. SanDisk Extreme card with 16GB capacity. It has 90MB/S speed rate and 4MB/s write speed. These rates will surely please and satisfy most video and photo fanatics. What is more, they are also water shop, x-ray proof, and temperature proof. In general, this is perhaps one of the best and most excellent memory cards to select when you do not require blisteringly fast read and write speeds, only a levelheaded jack of all trade’s choice.
- Amazing sequential shot performance
- Proofed against various kinds of damage
- X-ray safe
- A little bit low compared to Extreme plus memory cards
- Low capacities
7. Transcend CompactFlash 800: Low Price CF Cards
- The capacity of up to 256GB
- Read Speed of 120MB/s
- Write Speed of to 60MB/s
- Five years limited warranty
- Perfect for photography as well as video
Transcend a Taiwan based company is another remarkable and reliable producer of memory card – and still creates lots of low capacity cards. This only means that they are accessible to people with a limited budget. On the other hand, even the high capacity offerings like CF 800 series, are extremely costly for what is on offer to semi-pro camera users. Transcend capacities run from average 32GB to a 256GB. Specs are also remarkable for a budget memory card, with 60MB/s write speeds and 120MB/s read speeds, even if the actual performance of this card is affected by the software and hardware of the camera.
- Great for incessant bursts or video
- Fast and easy file transfer
- Not as speedy as Extreme PRO cards
- There is no lifetime warranty
8. SKingston microSD Action Camera: Best Memory Cards for Hardy Action Cameras
- It has a capacity of 64GB
- It has a read speed of 90MB/s
- It has a write speed of 45MB/s |
- Ideal for GoPros as well as other action cameras
If you are looking for a microSD card for GoPro, then this is one of the choices. This memory card was made to have the same form of the everything-proof build which a GoPro has, and which effect it’s shockproof, waterproof, X-ray proof, as well as temperature proof. Available in capacities that range from 16GB up to 64GB, it is not the highest capacity memory card available today. On the other hand, these memory cards are able to hold lots of footage and images. It has decent write and read speeds, and you will find that it is a good companion for your GoPro.
- Decent speeds
- Limited max capacity
- Less useful out of action cams
- No warranty indicated
9. Samsung EVO Plus: Budget-friendly memory card
- MicroSD (With SD adapter)
- Capacity of 256GB
- Read Speed of 100MB/s
- Write Speed of 30MB/s
- Ten years warranty
- Ideal for day to day photography
The AUAMOZ Micro SD card 32 GB is a high-speed Nikon d3400 memory card that you can rely on for your photography and videography needs. It is a card with up to 80 MB and 20 MB read and write speeds. It has Class 10 UHS-I performance. It is also compatible with different types of devices including tablet PCs, DSLR, android, smartphones, action cameras and more.
It is ideal for shooting photos and recording videos for your vacation and other outdoor activities. Thus, it is made with great quality, and it is shockproof, waterproof, magnet proof, x-ray proof, and temperature proof.
One negative thing about this memory card is that it can be easily broken.
These speedy memory cards come equipped with an SD adapter, which enables it to be utilized in action cameras and other types of cameras. This is available in 256GB, 128GB, 64GB as well as 32GB capacities. The smallest capacity can be purchased for a very reasonable price. It has a 100MB/s read speed, and 30MB/s write speed. The bright red design makes sure general use will not get lost, in spite of its size. Available with limited warranty of 10-years, this memory card is likewise temperature proof, waterproof, magnetic proof as well as X-Ray proof.
- Generous read speeds
- Proofed against damage
- Tiny and tricky without adapter
- Easily lost than larger SD cards due to its small size
10. SanDisk Extreme PRO CFast 2.0 Best CFast memory card
- 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
- Read speed 525MB/s
- Write Speed 430MB/s
- 4K video and high-speed action
CFast is considered a very high-speed memory card that looks the same as CompactFlash. Lightning-fast transfer speeds are what make CFast ideal for 4K video shooting. It has 525Mb/s write speed, along with an estimable 400 Mb/s read speed. The performance is very exceptional and strong form factor as well as durability.
- Astonishing high-speed performance
- Strong form factor and durability
Best Memory Card for GoPro Buying Guide
There are many factors you need to consider when buying a memory card for your newly purchased GoPro action camera. Here is the guide you can follow to get the best possible one.
Plain SD Card and MicroSD Card- Which One You Choose
Today, you are able to look for different models of simple SD cards and Micro SD cards available on the market today. On the other hand, a lot of action cameras out there, including GoPro, require Micro SD cards. The main disparity between simple or plain SD cards and Micro SD is the dimension or size. Micro SD cards are smaller compared to plain SD cards. These days, all the newest devices made with compact dimension, for this reason, they support micro-sized memory card for storage of videos, music as well as images.
All SD cards available are made with a special speed category rating, which explains their data classification, and with every classification, it signifies in a real-world recording application for videos. Out of all types available in the market, the most appropriate for GoPro is Class 10, U3 as well as U1. You have to opt for U1 and U3 due to the fact that in case the camera is C10.
When you choose to work on a camera with a 1080p resolution, then you have to consider getting a class 10 memory card. It has Full High-Definition capabilities, which correspond to 1080p. Action cameras from GoPro normally support Class 10 memory cards as well as other high-quality microSD cards. You have to avoid lower versions as they will not work or function.
SD Card Storage Capacity
GoPro action cameras can handle a specific size of memory cards. The older types had a smaller rating more often than not up to 64Gb, whereas the newest devices such as the Hero4 Black and Silver and the Hero7 series support MicroSD cards up to 128GB capacity. If you have a plan of purchasing a new MicroSD card for your action cameras, then make sure to check the specs of your device and then choose the memory card that has a maximum capacity, which your GoPro action camera is able to support.
A lot of GoPro Cameras are compatible with SD or Secure Digital, Compact Flash as well as Memory Stick type memory cards, and many cameras today comes with dual memory slots. Popular combinations take account of one CF and two SD slots, and one SD slot, together with a handful of diverse combinations.
The microSD memory cards are often utilized in compact devices like tablets and smartphones, though they also ideal to use in many point and shoot cameras and action cameras as well. This type of memory card can be adapted in the application of a standard SD size adapter to work in devices that just accommodate SD cards.
Keeping Your Files Safe and Sound
Aside from speed and capacity, the security of your file is also vital. Many memory cards available on the market today comes equipped with the Error Correction Code feature. The ECC boosts reliability by instantly detecting as well as repairing transfer errors. This is a remarkable asset in various applications, however, would it be especially vital in cases wherein you need to work fast and provide results in a short span of time, like news coverage or professional sporting events. If you want to send or upload pictures or videos so your work can be seen by anyone prior to your competitors, having a dependable memory card that has a slight possibility of errors or failure is vital. you can learn more about gopro for kids
Choose a Memory Card that Built to Last
The durability of the memory card may also be a vital thing to consider when buying one. There are really many kinds of toughness for memory cards; the capability to survive a huge number of insertion as well as removal and read and write cycles, as well as the capability to withstand environmental aspects. Many memory cards out there permit 10,000 duty cycles.
There is a remarkable degree of variation in other types of toughness and durability. Certain memory cards are made to live in drops, bumps as well as heavy burdens that would crush or break most devices their size. Other memory cards made to last and survived in various temperatures, which will cause most devices ineffective.
Today there are memory cards available in the market which is waterproof. This is an essential factor to consider as GoPro active cameras are waterproof, so ensure to get a card that is waterproof as well. What is more, there are models made to withstand exposure to magnetic fields as well as X-rays. You may also find useful gopro vs dslr
If you love to travel or if you are an explorer or an adventurer who takes pleasure in shooting in extreme destinations like tundra, jungle, mountains, or even dessert, their durable memory cards are intended for you. Luckily, many real tumbles and rough memory cards also come equipped with extremely respectable speeds of up to 90MB or higher for reading and write- therefore you can get the perks of their amazing build quality without the need for compromising the other areas of performance.
No matter what you need, make sure to get the best memory card that suits your needs and preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have more questions about memory cards for GoPro? Then this FAQ section is for you. This section provides an answer to some of the most common questions regarding the memory cards for GoPro. In case you have a question that doesn’t tackle below, you can call GoPro customer service to get the answer you want.
GoPro is one of the best brands of action cameras available on the market. You can make the most out of these cameras if you buy the best memory card. The guide mentioned above will help you find the best memory card that will suit your GoPro camera. Good luck!